FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate (paid) links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended.
Choosing a dusty cat litter can be hazardous for health of both you and your furry feline friend. Hence, it is of utmost importanc to carefully select the best dust free cat litter so as to prevent nasal allergies or other dust related ailments. Besides the health-wise disadvantage of a dusty cat litter, dusty litter that sticks to your cat’s paw might leave your house messy whenever your cat steps out of its tray.
Of course, clumping together of cat litters when wet prevents dust but when the cluster dries off, the litter becomes dusty again. It is a given that this type of litter does not satisfy the needs of most cat owners. And they opt for adopting a dust free non-clumping cat litter option.
Getting the best dust free cat litter helps keep you and your cat healthy.
IMPORTANCE OF THE BEST DUST FREE CAT LITTER
It is important to choose what’s favorable for you and your cat. Several studies have shown that dusty cat litter poses several health risks for the cat and its owner. Hence, it is essential to make a determination based on your cat’s breed and the characteristics associated with said breed.
It is also important to take into consideration any medical ailments that you, your cat or someone else in your house suffers from. If allergy is a problem, then the option of going for a dusty cat litter goes straight out the window. As for cats, the Siamese and Himalayan breeds are extremely prone to disease like asthma, so the use of a dust free cat litter can not be underestimated when rearing cats of these breeds. If you value a clean house and environment, finding the best dust free cat litter is your best bet.
What to look out for when buying the best dust free cat litter
Getting the best dust free cat litter can be a little stressful as there is a lot of cat litter in the market that seems to serve the same purpose. It is only the best eye or someone that is very familiar with cat litters that can cite the best in this case.
In order to help you make the right decision, we have listed certain important things to consider when choosing the best dust free cat litter products:
- They are usually in two forms; dust free clumping and dust free non-clumping litter. The dust free clumping type forms hard-clumps when wet while the dust free non-clumping litter does not. Always go for the dust free non-clumping litter.
- It is very important to check the ingredient of the cat litter you are buying. A supposed dust free cat litter with crystalline silica or sodium bentonite as ingredients should not be picked because both ingredients can cause dust clouds as your pet scampers around in the litter.
- A cat litter produced from natural materials like walnut will satisfy your need. Do not choose a traditional clay litter because they have high chance of containing sodium betonite or crystalline silica.
- Always go for a cat litter with larger particles, as those with fine particles are likely to cause unwanted dust.
Dr. Elsey’s Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat litter consists of large granules with an average size of clay. It prevents moisture from penetrating to the bottom of the cat litter. Besides its dust free nature, it is also very cheap and comes in 40lb packages, which is a reasonable quantity of litter.
The litter has a formula that makes your home smell clean and fresh every time, it is also ideal for mechanical litter boxes and it is perfectly dust free.
A little warning though, even if you’re using a litter box, it is important to wash your hands and other parts of your body that come in contact with the product thoroughly. Also, this product should not be disposed off outdoors.
It is important to follow some instructions while using the product. Such as –
- Pour the product to fill 3 inches of the cat’s litter box. Cats naturally have an instinct to bury their waste in the litter. The 3 inches thick litter is to allow the cat to dig and bury its waste by itself.
- Remove the cat’s waste from the litter as often as possible. Due to the fact that cats love a neat environment, when the waste is been removed at the right time interval, it helps the cat to get acclimatised to the litter more.
- Washing your hand is very important to avoid contaminating other items after the use and application of the litter.
This product is free of fragrances and dyes and it combines TidyLock Protection and activated charcoal to drive away odor and removable clumps. Apart from being dust free, it has so many features and advantage over some other litters like the ability to be cleaned easily.
It comes in 40lb packaging and its cost is very reasonable, as compared to other products in the same genre. The usage is very easy and it can be followed by both children and adults. A few things to keep in mind are –
- Pour the product to a depth of 3-4 inches of the cat’s litter box. This allows the cat to dig and bury its waste by itself.
- Make sure you remove solid waste daily.
- Always fill up the litter box to maintain the 3-4 inches. This is very important because it determines how odor free the litter will be.
- When changing litter, the cat box should be cleaned with warm water and a mild detergent.
- Always wash your hand thoroughly after handling the litter before and especially after usage.
Arm and hammer Clump & Seal platinum Litter is specially formulated to remove odor from a litter box. It’s produced to be 100% dust-free. And consists of moisture activated micro-granules, strong odor removal ingredients and baking soda.
It is cost friendly and like others comes in a 40lb packaging.
The directions for use for this product are similar to the other –
- Fill up the cat litter box with the product to about 3-4 inches.
- Remove cat’s solid waste frequently.
- Always fill up the litter box to compensate the removed waste thereby maintaining the 3-4 inch level.
- Always remove the litter at least once a month and while removing, wash the cat litter box with warm water and detergent.
Fresh Step Crystals Scented Premium Cat Litter is a beautifully designed product, not just internally, but packaging-wise as well. It aims to make maintenance of the litter box easy by ensuring the odors are absorbed with its proprietary locking litter crystals technology which are very light and unnoticeable. The Product absorbs moisture and keeps the house smelling nice all day with a nice fragrance that can last for a couple of days conveniently. It minimizes dust particles and is easy to remove and clean. It comes in 20lb packaging.
Like to the other products we mentioned, this one comes with a similar set of guidelines as well –
- Fill up the cat box litter with the product to 1.5 inches.
- Always scoop out solid waste and dispose it in the trash
- At least once in a month remove the litter from the cat box.
- Always dispose used litter after use.
- Make sure you wash your hand thoroughly after handling the product.
Frequently asked questions
Some of the questions pet owners regularly ask are –
Can the product be used for a normal litter box?
This is one of the questions that is asked by a lot of users and we are happy to let you know that the dust free cat litters we’ve mentioned above can be used for all litter boxes.
How long would a 40-pound bag of the best dust free litter last for two cats?
If the stated quantity (in inches) of the litters is strictly followed, the dust free litters can last for about ten days conveniently, although there are probabilities of lasting longer or lesser than that.
It is essential to get the best dust free cat litter but it is more essential to carefully analyze the products before purchasing. The market is laced with litter manufacturers who make tall claims but are seldom able to live upto them. The above products have been tested and trusted by cat lovers all over the world; links to where you can get the products are attached to make it easier for you while searching the market for the best dust-free cat litter.